Academic Fresh Start
ACADEMIC FRESH START POLICY
The Academic Fresh Start Policy enables an undergraduate student to neutralize, in part, the grade impact of prior academic performance. Academic Fresh Start provide for the computation of an alternative GPA and for the use of that GPA in most academic situations. A student may apply only once to Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness, and the process cannot be reversed. A student may not apply for either policy until he or she has been reinstated into his or her college.
- The student was not enrolled in a K-State course for three (3) calendar years prior to readmission.
- After readmission, the student earned a K-State GPA of 2.2 or higher at the end of the academic session in which the twelfth credit was earned.
- Up to 60 consecutive hours of course work and K-State GPA may be restricted from the regular GPA calculation. The beginning point for the Academic Fresh Start GPA shall be the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth academic semester of enrollment following the student’s initial K-State date of entry. The choice of the starting point is designated by the student at the time of application for Academic Fresh Start and hours excluded from the calculation must be consecutive.
- Academic Fresh Start deletes nothing from the student's academic record. Grades earned before the Academic Fresh Start will remain on the transcript along with the cumulative GPA for all hours taken.
- The transcript will clearly indicate the starting point of the Academic Fresh Start as well as the Academic Fresh Start GPA.
- University-wide academic policies based on a cumulative GPA generally will use the Academic Fresh Start GPA. However, academic programs are not required to use Academic Fresh Start GPA. Some programs, such as those in the graduate school or those leading to teacher licensure, may use all grades for the calculation of the GPA.
- In order for students in the Academic Fresh Start program to be eligible for university academic honors, they must complete a minimum of 60 hours in residence, with at least 50 hours in graded courses after the Academic Fresh Start begins. Other academic policies will not be affected.
- A student must apply no later than the academic term prior to the one when the degree will be granted. (Students wishing to apply are encouraged to do so as soon as possible after qualifying).