1. K-State home
  2. »College of Agriculture
  3. »Family
  4. »Frequently Asked Questions

College of Agriculture

College of Agriculture
Kansas State University
114 Waters Hall
1603 Old Claflin Pl
Manhattan, KS 66506-4004


Frequently Asked Questions

When is the best time to visit campus?

It’s always a great day to be on campus! Visiting campus while classes are in session will allow your student to get a sense of atmosphere and campus culture, in addition to learning more about majors and programs. However, no matter when students visit the College of Agriculture, students are always scheduled to meet with our Academic Programs office as well as a faculty member/advisor in their major of interest. Our admissions staff can assist in scheduling a personalized campus visit.

The College of Agriculture also offers a “student for a day” program to high school juniors and seniors. Students are invited to come to campus and shadow a current College of Agriculture student for the day - go to class, eat in the dining halls, tour buildings/units of interest, etc. Ag Experience Days are offered any date that classes are in session.

Are there College of Agriculture-specific scholarships available?

Yes! The K-State College of Agriculture awards over $1.6 million dollars per year to incoming and returning students. Incoming students who have met the university priority scholarship date and have a composite ACT score of 22 and above (1100 SAT) AND a 3.45 and above high school GPA will be awarded a College of Agriculture Scholarship.  Incoming students can expect to be notified by letter in early spring of official scholarship award amounts.

Returning students with a K-State GPA of 3.5 and above, who complete the K-State Scholarship Application before the deadline, are guaranteed a scholarship from the College of Agriculture each year they meet the 3.5 GPA qualifications.

Scholarship amounts are adjusted each year to based off of scholarship donors, applicant pool, etc. 

How does academic advising work in the College of Agriculture?

The K-State College of Agriculture uses a faculty-advising model. What does this mean? It means each student is advised by a faculty/instructor within their academic major. Our faculty advisors are involved in many aspects of their respective disciplines, including teaching, research and collaborating with industry partners. Our advisors’ close connections to industry, and dedication to their fields, allow them to guide students as an experienced mentor in their field of study. As students select courses, get involved on campus, apply for internships and, eventually, accept their full-time job, advisors are there each step of the way.

How do I learn how advanced credit courses and transfer credit apply at K-State?

Your education starts long before you enroll at Kansas State University. At K-State, we value your prior learning — those lessons you learned through your job, service to your country, volunteer experiences, and more. We're proud to offer our students numerous options to assess your prior learning experiences for academic credit. Explore how your prior learning experience will be evaluated for credit at K-State at https://www.k-state.edu/prior-learning/.

When will my student meet their advisor? Can they choose one?

All incoming students will meet with an academic advisor during Orientation and Enrollment to select their courses. Advisors are officially assigned to students after enrollment. Students will receive information about their advisor in the mail and will be able to see their advisor assignment by logging into KSIS. Students can request to change advisors at any time by contacting their student service coordinator and may request a specific advisor. While these requests are typically accommodated, they cannot be guaranteed.

My student had an IEP in high school. How can they get learning accommodations at K-State?

K-State is committed to providing equal access and opportunity to all campus programs and services for all students. A wide range of accommodations and services are provided to students with documented disabilities through the K-State Student Access Center.

I have questions about student housing.

This is a big decision! Visit https://housing.k-state.edu/ for detailed information including virtual tours, cost breakdowns, and more.